- The Opposite House: A Novel, by Helen Oyeyemi.
- David Copperfield and Bleak House, by Charles Dickens.
- A Country Doctor, by Sarah Orne Jewett.
- The Enchanted April, by Elizabeth von Arnim.
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s, by Truman Capote.
- The Warden, by Anthony Trollope.
- A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini: Dewey from The Hidden Side of the Leaf recommended starting with this book by Hosseini rather than The Kite Runner.
- Hearts and Minds, by Rosy Thornton.
- Something by Salman Rushdie.
- The Housekeeper and the Professor, by Yoko Ogawa: Reviewed by Page247.
- Olive Kitteridge, by Elizabeth Strout.
- Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe.
- Ceremony, by Leslie Marmon Silko.
- The Zigzag Way, by Anita Desai.
- Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese.
- Everything is Illuminated, by Jonathan Safron Foer.
- 2666, by Roberto Bolano.
- The Angel’s Game, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.
- The Wonder Spot, by Melissa Banks.
- The Electric Michelangelo, by Sarah Hall.
- The Music of Chance, by Paul Auster.
- The History of Love, by Nicole Krauss.
- Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter, by Tom Franklin.
- The Clear Light of Day, by Anita Desai.
- Cool Water, by Dianne Warren.
- Distant View of a Minaret and Other Stories, by Alifa Rifaat.
- Changes: A Love Story, by Ama Ata Aidoo.
- The Calligrapher’s Night, by Yasmine Ghata.
- Minaret, by Leila Aboulela.
- Something by Ian McEwan (Saturday or Atonement).
- The Map of Love, by Ahdaf Soueif.
- The Yiddish Policemen’s Union, by Michael Chabon.
- The Stone Raft, by Jose Saramago.
- The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, by N. K. Jemisin.
- More by Lois McMaster Bujold (Paladin of Souls, The Hallowed Hunt).
- A Game of Thrones, by George R. R. Martin.
- Something by Mercedes Lackey (The Oathbound, Arrows of the Queen).
- The Ruins of Ambrai, by Melanie Rawn.
- Pawn of Prophecy, by David Eddings.
- The Deed of Parksenarrion, by Elizabeth Moon.
- The Naming, by Alison Croggon.
- Book of a Thousand Days, by Shannon Hale.
- Mistborn, by Brandon Sanderson.
- A Song for Arbonne, by Guy Gavriel Kay.
- Fingersmith, by Sarah Waters.
- Orlando, by Virgina Woolf.
- March, Year of Wonders, and Caleb’s Crossing, by Geraldine Brooks.
- The Price of a Child and If Sons, Then Heirs, by Lorene Cary.
- When the Emperor Was Divine, by Julie Otsuka.
- Rules of Civility, by Amor Towles.
- Cape of Storms, by Nina Berberova.
- Kristen Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset.
- Shanghai Girls, by Lisa See.
- The Secret River, by Kate Grenville.
- The Winter Sea, by Susanna Kearsley.
- Something by Sebastien Japrisot.
- The Daughter of Time, by Josephine Tey.
- In The Shadow of Gotham, by Stefani Pintoff.
- The Reservoir, by John Milliken Thompson.
- Roseanna (Martin Beck #1), by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo.
- The Shadowy Horses, by Susanna Kearsley.
- Blanche on the Lam, by Barbara Neely.
- More by Julia Spencer Fleming (#3 is Out of the Deep I Cry).